 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 8505
Re: Spam alert!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:01:44 GMT

I have been reading many messages lately about email address being pulled out
of newsgroups. I have to kick in my two cents here, because this is driving me
nuts.

Newsgroup email harvesting has been happening since the creation of
newsgroups. You HAVE to expect that this will happen, and as such, plan
accordingly. You have all probably seen a someone@NOSPAM.mysite.com type
address. This is certainly one way to make sure that you don't get
autogenerated spam. If you are worried about getting Spam from people manually
capturing your email address, the solution is simple: Don't give out your
email address on a publicly viewable web site that anyone in the world with an
internet connection has access to! Create a hotmail account and clean it out
once a month. There are *plenty* of free, web based email services, put them
to use!

Jake

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
There's been another case of harvesting... I got an email at work today about
an egg farm for sale in Qld region. The seller actually stated where he got my
details: lugnet.loc.au.qld.mac [I think that's right.] He said he got it while
looking for some other info.

This seems more important to crack down on than broken (supposedly) mail
servers.

Benjamin Whytcross
[Who wishes he could at least still post to .loc.au and .org.au and who would
limit replies from work to as few as possible] ]

bwhytcro@pacificaccess.com.au

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Santosh Bhat writes:
I've been spam, spam, spam sausages and spam sandwiched by it too. But I've
never given my details to brickbay yet. So obviously this characters got
contacts from elsewhere. I'm guessing they've used the membership list? on
lugnet to pull out Aus only names.

Santosh

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, David Low writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
The same thing happened to me, although I believe that the addresses were
harvested from brickbay [the "seller" had just signed up there on the 12th] • as
one email address it was sent to [I got it at 2 email addresses] isn't used • in
relation to lugnet, only brickbay, and another I [used to] use on lugnet
wasn't sent to [I think].

I sent him (guessing it's a guy) a "please don't spam me" email: in his
apologetic reply he said that he has addresses from lugnet, ebay and • brickbay.
He claimed that he was sent an extra Tour de France set from Europe and is
trying to pass it on to an Australian collector. In his first email he had
said, "If you want 2 set, I may try to get from local shop". I don't know • what
the whole story is, and I'm not really interested.

For me the basic message is that at least one person has compiled an AFOL
address list, probably with fields for location and interests. :-(

--DaveL