 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7851
Re: Informing people of better deals (Was: Re: 6093 Ninja's Flying Fortress)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 02:49:38 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Jude Beaudin writes:

I was
wondering if it would have been wrong for me to reply to the original post
indicating that S@H had it cheaper than him.

Not per se:  it would depend on how you did it.  My reply to Eric's post about
4291s a day or two ago was a little dicey,  because it was "low on tact",  and
I should have taken more time to phrase it well.  Yelling "ripoff!",  without
of any proof of intent,  *would* be wrong.

Obviously I didn't, mostly
because I thought it might have offended free market fans.

A genuine free market depends on the free flow of information,  so that both
buyer and seller can make informed choices.  Anybody who depends on concealing
information from buyers to make a sale is,  by definition,  defrauding them.

It's reasonable to be annoyed when someone points out that what you thought
was an opportunity to make a profit (or cut your losses) has been blown away
by another seller.  But it's *not* reasonable to expect people to keep quiet
when you're (accidentally or intentionally) doing buyers a disservice.

(And,  yes,  I do know what it's like to be on the other end of the situation:
I bought an extra Droid Developer Kit,  and two extra RDSes,  on "sale" just
before the price reductions were announced :-(  Luckily,  I'll roughly break
even on them,  but my hope of paying for part of the sets I wanted by sharing
only part of the price break I got went "Poof!".  Sometimes you get the deal,
sometimes the deal gets you. <shrug>)

Ran