 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7473
Re: Hundreds of Pieces To Trade
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:46:04 GMT

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Maggie Cambron wrote:

I wouldn't rush to start trading if I were you.  Unless you are
certain you are only interested in certain themes you may regret
having gotten rid of some of your pieces later when you find out more
about them.  If you read Lugnet regularly, look up sets on Lugnet,
instructions on Brickshelf, and study pictures and descriptions of
Lego auctions, you'll soon recognize what sets/themes most of your
pieces are from.  (And this is stuff you'll do automatically the more
you get back into LEGO!)  Then you can zero in on what you really like
and part with what you don't.  Also you'll come to realize that
certain themes such as pirate and castle are more popular and have a
bit more value in trade.

I agree with Maggie. If you're just getting back into
collecting/building/playing, don't rush to get rid of anything.  Try
to assemble any sets that might be present, as you'll get a better
appreciation of the pieces that might not otherwise seem useful to
you.  Plus, if you decide to part with them, you might get more for
complete sets than from random pieces.

This sounds like a dream situation to me!

As my LEGO tastes and interests have evolved since emerging from my Dark
Ages, I've discovered that my favorite LEGO activity is to sort through
hundreds or thousands of used LEGO pieces and try to reconstruct the sets
that they came from.

I've recently had some luck finding quantities of used pieces at a local
children's consignment shop. (They sell children's items, not the children
themselves.)  Assuming I can wait until I get home, I spread out a sheet
or blanket on the floor and just dump all of the pieces there.  I usually
pull out the minifigs and accessories first.  I then do a crude sorting,
pulling out basic bricks, plates, windows, walls, Technic, and wheels.
As I'm sorting, any printed pieces go into their own pile.  Usually
between the baseplates, printed pieces and minifigs, I can identify most
of the sets that the pieces came from.

Through a combination of Brickshelf and any instructions that might have
been included in the lots, I start building.  If a set is nearly complete,
I'll finish it with pieces from my own collection.  Technic, Town, and
Space will eventually make their way onto eBay; Pirate and Castle are for
me!

Have fun!

-Christopher