 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7029
Re: Information needed on parting sets out and how to price items.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 17:42:08 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Geoffrey Hyde writes:

This is a good topic, but I suspect no one has written a guide. Pricing is a
bit of an art form, and so is determining what sets are good parts fodder and
which ones are not. I suspect a few of the bigger sellers consider this
information pretty sensitive as it gives them a competitive edge. Todd, I am
sure, would never comment in depth on this as he has determining what sets to
buy, where to start the pricing at, etc, down to an art form.

I will be selling parts going forward but I see it as a way to dispose
of "waste" leftover from the manufacturing process so I will be setting prices
very aggressively in order to move the stuff out rather than to maximise
return.

Probably the best advice is to watch the sales. eBay is a good source of
pricing, and so is AucZILLA. Register to buy and watch what prices stuff ends
up at, then shoot to be below that.

Brickbay makes it easy to compare prices by using search, you can determine
what everyone else is selling their stuff for (if they are on the site) unless
they used wacky descriptions. But since BrickBay uses the LDraw list of parts
and categories, if it's in LDraw you'd be wasting your time not to use the
LDraw nomenclature, it's faster than typing.

Basically, lurk. That's the best advice that can be given at this point.

FUT market.theory which is best suited to this topic.