 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 5028
Re: Old 1960 era stuff..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:12:00 GMT

In article <38C3E2C1.A4A9861B@umich.edu>, gistok@umich.edu (Gary Istok)
wrote:

Hi Jeff,
No your LEGO has not aged badly at all (I used to think the same
thing).  What you
have is Cellulose Acetate LEGO.  The LEGO company used Cellulose
Acetate plastic
from the early 1950's until 1963.  After that, they switched to ABS
plastic, and
continue to use it today.  Cellulose Acetate was not all that stable,
and 99% of
the pieces tended to warp after a few years.  That's what you are
encountering.

Gary Istok

I can identify three kinds of brick.
The oldest seem opaque and the colours are duller.Lego logo is narrower.
Then we have the brighter coloured ones but still without the ribs
underneath.
Thirdly are the latest ones with ribs underneath.
The first is probably the CA one.
I HAVE LOADS IF ANYONE WANTS THEM  !

Michael Pratt