 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 4625
Re: Lego Technic Service Packs for sale - Chain Links, Pneumatics, Flex System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:15:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Did you get clearance from TLC for that very annoying use of their
logo??? Emphasize very annoying.

Why do people feel the need for this sort of frippery?

Sometimes I get really pissed off at the browser developers for setting up the
browsers such that people do this kind of crud. I'm assuming this is
Javascript. I'm increasingly wondering how much usefull stuff is done with
Javascript compared to how much crud (and I count people who use Javascript so
they can open a new window on my screen for their precious web page, except at
work where I disable Javascript because it was causing Netscape to do a
complete wipe out almost every time, in this same boat).

magundy wrote:

For Auction on EBAY

Not too mention a rather blatant auction announcement in BST (perhaps some of
my discomfort with the thought of Scott being permanently banned from BST is
how he is getting roasted for what was intended as something which did belong
in BST meanwhile an earlier post which the poster appologized for possibly
posting in the wrong place because he couldn't post in the right place
[granted said poster is probably new] didn't get any reaction until Scott
spoke out).

I'm more and more thinking that the way the market groups are divided is
broken. I have to admit that I'm also curious if I posted something with a
subject like "sealed bid auction for XYZ, bids due by Thursday" in lugnet.buy-
sell-trade, whether that would be ok (it's just using a more formal name for
"best offer by Thursday"). I'm also curious what bothers people about seeing
auction postings (other than auction updates) that doesn't bother them about
seeing these sealed bid auctions (and I know many people are bothered by
sealed bid auctions). If you're ok with sealed bid auctions, but don't like
regular auctions, outside of receiving the updates, you can treat a regular
auction like a sealed bid auction (bid what you would have bid in the sealed
bid auction, tell the auctioneer to tell you if you won the auction when it
closes).

To be honest, I'm more annoyed by the daily auction updates which aren't
threaded, and the "only one hour to go on my eBay auction", and to a lesser
extent in general by eBay auction announcements (however, I have benefitted
from a few of these, and right now my workload at work allows me to skim all
the new LEGO auctions every day).

In some ways I'd like to see something like the following breakdown:

lugnet.market.shopping

Basically what it is today, but honestly, DYA's announcements belong here, not
in buy-sell-trade. This should be a listing for deals which many people can
take advantage of by going to a web site, calling a phone number, or going to
the actual store.

lugnet.market

Offers for trades, sales, wanted, and initial announcements of auctions not
covered by one of the groups below:

lugnet.market.auction.ebay
lugnet.market.auction.yahoo
lugnet.market.auction.auczilla

Announcements of eBay, Yahoo, etc. auctions.

lugnet.market.auction.ending-soon

All those ending soon notices

lugnet.market.auction.update

Any auctions where updates are not being e-mailed. Updates should be threaded
so those not following a particular auction can just mark the whole thread as
read.

lugnet.market.discussion

Replacement for lugnet.market.theory, anything which is not directly an
announcement for intent to conduct buisiness should go here (i.e. all the
"look at this funny eBay auction" notices would go here)

Just some random thoughts....

Frank