 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 3523
3522  |  3524
Subject:
Ooops!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 02:08:32 GMT

I can see that I have succumbed to the usual stuff one sees when this topic
comes up for discussion.  I guess the problem either way is that one's
reputation is at stake and often it takes little more than one disgruntled or
overzealous person to color it either bad or good.  I guess a feedback list
would be helpful, such as eBay has.  And yet, I see problems with that system
as well.  On eBay, I get the idea that people have no idea about grading or
condition so their opinions are often of little use to me.

I'd like to point out that there is at least one trader on RTL/Lugnet who has
rountinely messed up deals with extravagantly long waits, poor communication,
and empty promises -- and yet in the end the deal is good.  I would classify
this person as a bad trader myself -- and I will try and avoid making deals
with this person in the future -- but there is a consensus here that this
person can be relied upon.  I feel that I had cause to complain of this
person's behavior but I tried, I think successfully, to avoid blasting this
person's reputation publicly (so hard to avoid gender specificity here).  And
now it appears that this person DOES indeed have defender's of his/her place
in our little lego trading world.

I guess the best approach is caveat emptor, as usual.  I REALLY dislike the
idea of a bad trader list passionately -- even at the expense of having a good
trader list!

I would point out that while being on a "good trader" DOES make you a person
that can be relied upon -- and only other people can claim this honor on your
behalf; whereas not being on the list means nothing except that your
reputation is less certain -- and in no way implies that you are a "bad
trader."  If anything, it would create desire to be a part of a known good
trader list, and nothing more.  As a buyer and never a seller so far, I would
be glad to know that others could vouch for a person's goodness in conducting
deals if I wished to buy from/trade with this person.

If we are ever to create a "bad trader" list, there had better be recourse for
those so named! From discussions on the same topic in other forums and about
other subjects, I can tell you that it is all too easy for some ONE screwball
to mess with someone's reputation.  Conversely, no one ever complains that you
are spreading it around what a great person they are, or how painless an
experience it was to purchase something from them.

On the internet, do we call it slander or libel to defame someone's reputation?

-- Richard