 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 3248
Re: 4970, 6919, 6434 -- are these finds?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:15:48 GMT

I'd say your observation is spot on. Costco had sets in bulk last year
and they were a bit older, and quite a bit better sets in terms of value
vs retail and set intrinsic quality (unless you LIKE juniorization). I
seem to recall they were

but I can't be 100% sure. I OUGHT to remember, I bought enough copies. I
do know it was one aquasharks, one forestish castle, and one divers...
all of which were almost 1/2 off at 27

IMHO the best of the three this year is 6919 partswise but as you say
it's not that much of a bargain. I'm a townie and I have NOT bought
6434... it would have to go below 20 before I'd be tempted... the ONLY
redeeming feature, I feel, are the small baseplates.

John J. Ladasky Jr. wrote:

Hi, everyone,

Our local Costco is selling three LEGO sets in large quantity, all for
$27.50:

4970 Chrome Crusher (Rock Raiders theme)
6919 Planetary Prowler (Space/Insectoids)
6434 Roadside Repair (Town)

I've just checked these sets against their retail prices, and only the
6434 set appears to be a bargain ($49.99 retail).

I considered picking up some of these for myself and my son.  However,
from what I can discern without actually opening the packages, these
sets don't appear to be very versatile -- too many specialized and
juniorized parts.  Can anyone comment on my observation?

And, would anybody be interested in these sets, even if I'm not?  I just
had someone across the U.S. purchase a set for me.  I paid him the cost
of the set, plus shipping, plus $5.00 for his efforts.  I would be
willing to do the same for fellow LUGNETters.  Alternately, if you're
interested in trading parts for a set, I can discuss that with you,
too.  Drop me a line!

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology