 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 224
Re: Big Box of My childhood Lego: QUESTION
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 01:03:52 GMT

Linc Smith writes:

When I was home last I searched out, and found, my box of childhood Lego.  I
now would like to sell (trade) off my collection to buy more of what I am
interested in (Technic).  My question is this.  Given that there is no
instructions or boxes, are the sets I had (indicated by parents and photos)
worth anything as a whole model, or should I just auction off the pieces in
broad categories like space wing elements, space accessories, castle arches,
mini-figs, windows, shutters, and doors, etc.?  I mean anyone could make a
expensive set from new parts given that the set contained no unique ones...
right?

Is a set (without the instructions and box)  worth anything more than
just pieces that make up that set?

Maybe models in this state would be worth less because of the small and
varied part-lots?

If the majority of the parts are there, then they will be worth a bit more than
a bundle of bits. There are people out there, I know one, who already have the
boxes, instructions etc, but are maybe missing a few pieces, or have a few
extras. The person I know buys lots of old Lego as assorted boxes, uses the
instructions he has, and builds up complete sets from the parts. These sets he
can then sell on with photocopied instructions at car boot sales, and
occasional toy fairs at enough profit to live for 6 months whilst out of a job.
If you take a look at <? www.kl.net/scans ?> you should be able to find
instructions for many older sets, and so sort some of your parts into complete
sets without instructions which will no doubt fetch a fairer price than selling
them as parts, though you wont get as much for them as MIB sets.

       ,' . (    \                      (Duckie) Dave Till
     ,'   | (    /                  D.I.Till@warwick.ac.uk
  ,-/  / /|  \  '      http://www.csv.warwick.ac.uk/~esvvn
/ /  ( / {   >._      http://www.geocities.com/Paris/4192