 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17463
17462  |  17464
Subject:
Sale- 1961 #717 Junior Constructor LEGO Catalog Model Never Sold to Public
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:05:13 GMT

When LEGO was first sold in the USA in 1961 and in Canada in 1962, there was a
LEGO house model in the 1961-62 catalogs that was NEVER sold as shown in the
very first USA/Canada Samsonite LEGO catalogs.

It was the #717 Junior Constructor set as shown in USA/Canada 1961-62 catalogs
(a Samsonite only set). Ironically the set pictured in the catalog was never
produced as a LEGO set for sale... but only was a prototype:

The #717 Junior Constructor model that was actually produced was this one:

So anyway, I have a copy of the instructions, and am selling several (yet to
be built, it'll take me about 2 days to build) finished models of this NEVER
PRODUCED SET with scans of the instructions:

Ironically this was the largest LEGO model house EVER shown in a LEGO catalog,
just never sold to the public.

The reason it was never sold may be obvious when comparing the prototype #717
(left) to the actually produced #717 (right):

The prototype used 9 10x20 baseplates, and a lot more bricks!! The actually
produced model used only 4 10x20 baseplates and many fewer bricks. Ironically
the actually produced #717 Junior Constructor set (in box) weighs 9 lb. (4,08
kg)!! Imagine how heavy the one on the left would have been if actually sold
that way.

I am selling examples of the prototype (with all mint parts, except near-mint
windows and baseplates) for $125. And that price includes copy of the building
instructions, as well as a complimentary copy of my LEGO CD.... a $26.95 value).

There are 2 LEGO CD chapters that talk about this prototype set (Chapters 4 and
13), and it includes some interesting pictures as well.

So in essence (including the 1,265 page LEGO CD), you would be getting the
finished model for about $98 (trees/bushes not included).

For those that would prefer an even cheaper example, I can substitute the 9
10x20 old green baseplates for 2 32x32 green thin baseplates, and drop the total
price down to $100 (with $26.95 LEGO CD value, it would be something like $73
final price for the house).

Again, this is the largest house model that has ever been seen in a LEGO
catalog, and because of its' size, it was never actually sold as a LEGO set.

And in my opinion, it is the most beautiful house model TLG has ever designed
in a catalog (even though it never was actually sold).

See Universal Building Sets in my Bricklink store for details on the 2 versions:

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=istokg

Cheers,
Gary Istok

P.S.  I have a few of my old AFOL limited edition CDs available if you would
prefer that one to the colorful version.