 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 16040
Re: Searching for colours on Bricklink?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:52:55 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi all!

I am searching for colours on bricklink, to be exact I am looking for bricks
or plates in Dark Blue, up to 3 studs long (1x1, 1x2, 1x3)

I haven't found them, but I am not going to look through every single shop
there to find it.

Is there another way?

There are two things that can make this task a lot easier (besides picking a
color that's a lot more common:

1. Peeron.com.  Search for the shape by general description (or by looking
through the inventory of a set that you know uses that same shape), and see if
it has ever been produced in the color you're looking for.  In this case, Peeron
reports 2x 1x1 "navy blue" plates in the Mission to Mars set, and nothing else
that meets your criteria.

2. Bricklink.com.  Instead of going store-to-store, or doing a broad general
search, go straight to what you want.  Click on the "Catalog" tab, and use the
pull-down menus on the right to pick the category of items that you're looking
for.  This will bring up a list of parts that fit that category, along with
descriptions of each, and thumbnail images where available.  Click on the
specific parts that you're looking for, and it will take you to a page for just
that part, which will show all of the available pieces on the far left
(categorized by color) and all of the parts that have sold within the last 6
months on the far right.  Bricklink lists five stores with the 1x1 plates here:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?invXrefID=35627&invType=F

...but the other five parts have never been listed for sale.

One important thing to remember is that Peeron relies almost entirely on
submitted inventory lists, so if noone who bought a particular set feels like
typing up the inventory, it doesn't get listed.  Bricklink also has an inventory
system, but it can be slow to wade through (there is no text-only option that
I've found), and again, it probably relies on submitted inventory lists.  Not
all parts that are sold on Bricklink will be listed in those two inventory
systems, so sometimes you can get lucky and find a part that isn't reported as
ever having been made.