 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 13780
Re: Sale at The Vault this week!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 05:01:43 GMT

XFUT:  lugnet.admin.terms

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Jon Palmer writes:
Hey Matthew.  It'd be great if you could keep posts of this nature in
.market.buy.sell-trade in the future.
.market.shopping is for shopping reports and so on.

Thanks, and good luck on your sales.

-Jon

Hi Jon.  According to the charter for .market.shopping [1] these types of
announcemnts are allowed and should not be problematic.  Here is exactly how
the charter for .shopping reads:

++CHARTER/PURPOSE:
++lugnet.market.shopping (group):
    Retail, mail-order, and online shopping: information, discussions,
    experiences, analysis; FOTW's (Find of the Week), sales, promotions,
    coupon offers; LEGO Shop-At-Home Service (phone/flyer specials,
    availability, etc.); liquidation outlets, second-hand stores, garage
    sale tips, etc.

A strict interpretation of this charter does not disallow this type of post.
Matt's post is a sale announcement for online shopping which is clearly
permitted via the charter.

If the reason this type of post is considered offensive is because it is
posted
directly by the vendor, then the charter may need to be adjusted to reflect
this.  The charter does not now prohibit posts by vendors.

IN FACT, one such vendor in particular has been instructed to post to
.shopping
only and not to b-s-t.  That vendor is Emmanuel Fouquet of DYA-shopping.com
One discussion on this is here -->
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=5389
This would appear to validate the argument that messages posted directly by
the
vendors belong in .shopping.  {I guess this means that if Target and WalMart
wanted to post Lego sales, they should do so in .shopping}

One more thing...
Matt Chiles contacted me via email BEFORE he posted this message because he
wanted to be sure he did not post incorrectly.  I read the group charters and
made the decision that his For Sale posts would be properly placed in
.shopping.  I recommeneded to Matt that he cross-post single messages in B-S-T
and .shopping to avoid complaints about double posting and that is exactly what
Matt has done.

Perhaps this whole situation needs to be discussed again.  See you all in
.admin.general and .admin.terms.

__Kevin Salm__
Curator, Lugnet marketplace newsgroups

[1]  http://news.lugnet.com/market/shopping/?n=1