 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 793
Re: Efficacy of a small brickshop?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 06:59:01 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Maggie Cambron writes:

But if you have the time and like to sort through LEGO elements anyway,
I'd say go for it.  The way Bricklink is set up anyone can open a shop,
and I think that's part of its charm.  There is at least one shop that
you have to request an invitation to patronize (like a personal shopping
service), there's one that warns that an order can take 2 1/2 to 3
months to process (!),

<snip>

Yup, that would be me. :)  I'm another one of those 'small sellers' and
would agree with Maggie.  Unless you do it as a full-time operation, or
something nearly like it, don't expect to get profit back to match your time
put in.  Heck, I expect even the big sellers don't get nearly as much
value-for-time than they would in a straight job.  But I suspect they also
pay themselves in ABS. :)

If all you're looking at doing is clearing space and dumping parts of no
interest, I would suggest that e-bay will better serve you.  However, if you
don't care about the space it takes up, or are mostly interested in having
the parts you keep cost a little less, then Bricklink is *the* way to go.

thanks,

James

(who has a long-delay store becuase he has little enough time to spend on
Lego as it is, and prefers building to commerce)