 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 1261
Re: 18 different Custom Lego Space sets available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 02:51:52 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Kevin Wilson wrote:
Custom kit pricing is indeed very difficult. I try to price mine just under
the 20c/piece mark, but I am producing mostly Town buildings where there are
a lot of plain bricks and plates. Most of the cost of a kit is not in the
pieces but in the time required. Most people who have never produced a kit
themselves have no idea how long it actually takes to do a good job and
produce a quality kit: and most people who produce an initial kit never do
another one :-).

I'm now offering the option with my kits of paying less and having the
instructions as a PDF on CD rather than printed. Not only is that cheaper
for me to produce (even though I bought my own color laser to produce
instructions, consumables are EXPENSIVE - there's a reason why color copies
cost so much!) it also takes less time to produce - no printing, collating,
hole-punching or binding required.

Kevin
Farmhouse kit: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-farm.htm
LEGO TOWN PLANNING information:
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/COntent/Townplan/townplan.htm
BrickLink Lego parts store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
The Guild of Bricksmiths(TM): http://www.bricksmiths.com

Hi Kevin,

thanks much for taking the time to share your insights with me about custom set
pricing.  I can tell you spend a lot of time thinking about all the variables
that go into a price, too.

I have readjusted my prices as a result, but due to some of the factor
differences between models (i.e. different costs for pieces to make a
rectangular building vs. a sleek spacecraft) most are still a little above the
.20c per piece mark.  I will still be tinkering with them some more along the
way.  I don't know if you wound up checking them out, but I posted the link in
the first message in this thread (I believe).  I'm on my backup machine tonite
and it's just harder for me to navigate around as smoothly.

Thanks, Lee