 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 1258
Re: 18 different Custom Lego Space sets available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 06:40:28 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   The only other thing is that you prices did seem a bit high. Your price-per-piece ratio seemed to range between $35-$.50. I am not into trying to sell custom sets so I have no idea if that is reasonable or not. I guess it depends on the quailty of the overall model, quality of the set as a whole (packaging, instructions, et) and, ultimately, what people will pay for.

Honestly, to me - .35 to .50 per piece is outrageous unless there is something REALLY special about it, and even then.

I think keeping a custom set price within the .20 per piece range is the best bet for giving people a good value for their money.

-lah

Hi Lenny,

thanks for the posting. I appreciate your comments about setting pricing at a balanced rate. As I mentioned to Douglas, setting prices has been an ongoing process for me. I think that your suggestion of .20 per piece could work on some of my models. Other ones I know wouldn’t work because it cost me more to make them than what that rule would have me sell them for. For some of the models, it’s all about the part makeup (i.e. which parts) are used in the model. Some are just real expensive, and they’ve come from different sources, which increases my costs. (You can see that I have been kicking this stuff around in my head!) Compounding it is that some of the other custom sellers’ sites I’ve browsed sell sets with less specialty pieces (more bricks than slopes and wedges, which cost more - and I use a lot) and charge a lot more than I do. I don’t get how people are buying theirs. It appears that they sell them. Of course most are trains and there are a lot of fans out there for lego trains, that may be the critical factor.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback, and I will look around the market area and see what I can find about setting custom set prices.

Lee :)