 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 1201
1200  |  1202
Subject:
Delays at Troy's Surplus LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:31:39 GMT

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to post and let everyone that has outstanding orders with Troy's
Surplus LEGO that I am working on getting caught up on processing my backlog
of pending orders. I am currently over a week behind, but am making progress
on getting orders invoiced and packed.

The cause of the delay is that I have been extremely busy with some volunteer
work that has unexpectedly taken up way more time than it was originally
expected to. The project was originally expected to take about a week, but is
currently going on 3 weeks, and still isn't done! And this is with my putting
in 12 to 14 hours per day on it!

For those that are interested, the project is a "Kids" haunted house, for kids
12 and under, which is done as a fund raiser for a local non-profit
organization. Pictures of our progress (or lack of) can be seen here:

http://www.tcphoto.net/photos/2003/10/HH/Building/

And here is what the building looked like before we started:

http://www.tcphoto.net/photos/2003/10/HH/Before/

I do this event every year, and in past years the preparation has never taken
this long, usually only a couple of days. We were asked to build a larger
house this year, so I extrapolated that it would take a bit longer.
Unfortunately, that was not to be the case.

Inspection of our first site by the Fire Chief and Building Commissioner
deemed it to be unfit for our use. This led to the selection of the current
site, which if you looked at the pictures you will see was not in the best of
condition. It took the entire first week just to make the space useable (yes,
those are bundles of live electrical wires hanging out of the ceiling!)

In addition to the change of venue, The fire chief also denied us the use of
our standard building material. In the past we have built the "walls" of the
house out of a material called Celotex, which is a stiff foam board used as
house insulation.

You can see the construction in pictures from last year:
http://www.tcphoto.net/photos/2002/10/HauntedHouse/

This material is light weight, easy to use, and can be held together with
minimum supports and duct tape. Unfortunately, it also has flamability
issues, and can produce toxic fumes when burnt. So it was not available for
use by us this year (note that you can still use it on YOUR house!)

This has led to the other two weeks of work that has caused my delays, as we
now have to use wood sheeting and framing to build the house, which takes much
longer! In the end we will have a stronger and safer attraction, but it sure
is taking alot of work!

Major construction has now been completed, and we are just working on running
all of the effects. I should now have more time to get caught up on my
orders, but there will still be delays as I work through the backlog. I would
like to thank everyone for their patience so far, and ask that you be just a
little more patient with me. I fully intend to honor all existing orders as
quickly as possible.

Troy