 Marketplace / Auctions / 882
881  |  883
Subject:
Help Beta-testing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 05:22:21 GMT

Not sure EXACTLY where this belongs.  On the one hand I would like
people to check out the page I'm going to post here and gimme comments
on the logo (which I know stinks) and the layout (which I also know
stinks).  But I'd also like for people to register with the auction
script for testing purposes and make some bids, forget their
passwords, etc, etc.

This is the script that I hope to have up and running soon on my new
site that should be up at dtrh.com soon, but the lady there seems to
be a little busy so I decided to try my hand at playing with the Perl
script myself.  I doubt I will feel comfortable trying to run large
auctions anytime soon, but feedback would be helpful.

I've ordered Learning Perl and Programming Perl, both with animals on
them, and they should arrive this week.  After spending all weekend
ripping this thing apart and trying by trial and error to make various
add-ons work with it I decided I need to actually try to understand
some of it since it seems pretty cool.

If you know Perl and you want to do your own auctions you may want to
give this script a looksee.  Along with the plethora of add-ons
available for it, I think it could make a very nice auction server.
The cool thing about it is that it comes out of the box configured to
let anyone use it to post auctions, something I won't be opposed to
doing later down the road - but I need to learn how to use it for
myself before I try to accept any responsibility for helping anyone
else use it.

Anyway, here's the url.

http://vader.ns.utk.edu/testauction3.shtml

The actual script lives at /cgi-bin/auction.cgi, to which you'll be
transported once you click on any of the categories, but I figured I
needed a halfway decent starter page.

I do want to note that I borrowed rather liberally from Gene's rules,
not so much because I didn't think I could come up with my own, but
after reworking my own set of rules a half dozen times over the last
year (and seeing other people adopt them practically word for word
(made me happy - no problem with it)) I was amazed that he could put
so much of what needed to be said in such a concise, well laid-out
package.

I just realized I need to throw a disclaimer on that main page.  I'll
try to do that before I hit the sack.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide