 Marketplace / Auctions / 841
Re: which threads, ethics (was: Re: Mini Auction - 6273 - Rock Island Refuge)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 02:04:07 GMT

<follow-up set to off-topic.debate, this probably belongs there>
Charles Eric McCarthy writes:
Hello Lugnet auction participants:

As you might have noticed, I took the liberty of responding to
this Lugnet auction thread with an offer to sell at a lesser price.
(The thread was "Mini Auction - 6273 - Rock Island Refuge")
I knew this might annoy the auctioneer, but I didn't think
it was unethical or discourteous, just competitive.
What do you all think?

I think the only one who could determine if it is unethical would be Todd,
since this is his site, he's the one who determines what is and isn't "right"
on it.
(That being said) I don't think it is unethical.  BMS, (1) unethical would be
e-mailing the high bidder, and telling him you'll sell him one for less
instead.  That would be asking someone to back out of an implied(written?
spoken? electronic?) contract.  You're just one of the hazards of dealing in a
free market. :)

Discourteous is a bit different, and the seller might have had an argument
there (2), but he certainly undercut any moral authority he may have had by
calling you a parasite.

My current position is that there are multiple sellers and buyers
in Lugnet, that all threads are available to all, and that
artificially keeping the price high for one seller by waiting
for the auction to finish is worse for the community than •                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
is bringing out the set when the price exceeds my sell price.

Uh-oh - I'd watch it - that's a dangerous phrase!(3) ;-)

1:by my standards

2:by asking you politely to start your own thread

3:anyone who doesn't get the reference can hunt down repeated flamings in
.debate a few weeks back (thread=CFD: e-bay)