 Marketplace / Auctions / 7731
Re: Now here's a way to turn a proffit!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 04:36:36 GMT

Customizers have been doing this kind of thing for a while in the action figure
"collectible" market.  They dummy up a backing board (or use the old one) and package
or repackage bootleg or customized figures on them (I recall an infamous version of
Gillian Anderson as Scully when McFarland's X-Files figures came out, another of an
anime-style Big Head Boba Fett with removeable helmet).  The quality ranges from crap
to very professional, but you really can't tell unless you see it up close.  A few
months ago, eBay did a crackdown when it would yank all action figure/collectible
auctions with "custom" or "customized" in the title due to complaints from some of
the larger manufacturers (including Hasbro? not sure) about copyright infringement.
It's all tied into the concept of an instant toy "collectible" (as opposed to one
that becomes collectible due to age and the fact that we played the heck out of it
when we were kids so none of them are around in decent condition anymore) that's
exploded the past decade.  The Star Wars minifigs sure seem to be a crossover point
for LEGO into the collectible toy game so I'm not surprised at this auction, though I
think the official releases from LEGO with the display base and background are a lot
classier than any bubble-card.  Anyhoo, I wonder what happened to the crackdown?
There's dozens of custom action figures on eBay, some using the manufacturer's
original packaging...

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Take a look at this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=560623479

This fellow has printed up some "custom" packaging (I bet Lucas Films
would be rather interested in his commercial endeavor...), and packed a
SINGLE Star Wars mini-fig in it with a minimum bid of $23.99 or a "Buy
It Now" price of $49.99.

I hope this guy gets taken to town by Lucas Films...

Frank