 Marketplace / Auctions / 7679
Re: eBay Anti-Sniper Strategy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 16:03:09 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Roy Wood writes:
First off, I admit that I snipe on eBay auctions when it's possible, so
this could be a bit hypocritical.  Well, except for the fact that
sniping is perfectly within the rules and a reasonable way to try to
save some money as a buyer.  But I digress.

I'm going to be putting up a Mindstorms RIS 1.5 for auction, and
naturally enough I'd like to maximize the price I receive for it.  To
that end, what I'm thinking about doing is offer free shipping if the
winning bid is received at least an hour before the close of the
auction.  I hope that this will encourage bidders to bid higher,
earlier, since they stand to "save" $15-$20 or so on shipping.

Has anyone else experimented with eBay seller strategies?  Any comments
in general?

-Roy

I have tried a number of different eBay techniques on both kits and pieces.

I find that the people bid up the set to roughly the same level regardless
of whether shipping is included or not.  To that end I strive to be accurate
about what shipping costs will likely be for the package but still require
the bidder to pay for that shipping.  (For instance a RIS 1.5 with decent
packaging weighs under 3.5kg so $13.00USD should suffice for airmail to the
US from Canada).

Just my opinion,
- Jeff

p.s.  I suspect this thread belongs in either theory or auction but I'm not
sure which.