 Marketplace / Auctions / 6949
Re: Did anyone else get this? - "Buy The Brick"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 22:32:04 GMT

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:26:47, "Steve Waibel"
<djjarrett88@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

What is funny is that the pages are still there you just can't search to find
them.

Not surprising,  if you know a little about the guts of systems like
that:  it's very cheap to do "get record # 899542",  but expensive to
do "search 5 gigabytes of information about 2 million auctions,  and
see if any of the descriptions mentioned 'Lego' and "Castle'".  The
more records you keep in the searchable "index", the longer the
searches take,  and the more each one costs.

The details are more complicated than that,  and there are people who
build entire careers out of coming up with clever ideas to make those
systems go fast (I'm not one of them,  so it's easy to resist the
temptation to go further off-topic  ;-),  but I'm sure you get the
general idea.

Ran