 Marketplace / Auctions / 6941
Re: Did anyone else get this? - "Buy The Brick"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:53:22 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Gary Istok writes:
A few weeks ago I did receive an email from these people questioning how I
personally felt about a LEGO Price List.  I told them that I didn't object to
it, as long as it had a price range, and not a set figure.

I think I received this email, and deleted it as unsolicited email.

I agree with Istok's essential proviso but hasten to add that in addition to a
price range a truly robust pricing scheme would include a method of grading a
set for completeness and condition.  Lack thereof leaves you with something
still intrinsically useless and no more helpful than MSRP.

I have two intimate experiences in collecting items that have existing
priceguides to aid the collector -- I have collected comic books, and helped
my ex to collect Fireking Jadeite (her favorite color).  The Overstreet Comic
Book Price Guide was usually fairly accurate, but I remember Wizard's prices
being vastly overpriced.  So to with a Jadeite book I have seen -- the prices
were scandalously high, and simply NOT what I had seen things going for in
real world cicumstances including eBay (which I consider generally quite high).

So, it's all well and good to have a guide -- but one lacking certain
essentials is not worth very much.  And with Lego, unlike some other items, I
would contend that dating bricks or even attributing them to a particular set
is a near impossibility.

The best Lego price guide in some ways was eBay itself, where one could check
previous auctions even to several months back.  There was range of prices and
often item descriptions gave some sense of the completeness and condition of
the set.  I have noticed that eBay doesn't go very far back in time at all
with this service any longer -- I can only assume that they perceived existing
auction results as limiting the price potential of auctions currently underway.

-- Richard (writing in a hurry)