 Marketplace / Auctions / 4780
Re: Ebay S&H ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:52:00 GMT

Scott Runkle wrote:

This is the USPS priority mail charge of $3.20 with $.85 insurance tacked on.
Sellers should never impose insurance on such a small item.  In my opinion
insurance should always be at the buyer's discretion.  I have always offered
insurance as an option on items I've sold on eBay, and about 75% of the buyers
have opted to take it.  For small items, sellers should offer alternative and
less expensive shipping methods, such as first class mail.

The problem with offering 1st class mail as an option is that you then
need to have packing material. For someone who is a big time seller,
this is a problem. Priority Mail packaging is free (even can be
delivered to you for free). Many sellers just impose insurance on every
item because of problems with buyers claiming they never received the
item (of course one can solve this for 35 cents with delivery
confirmation).

What I reccomend to anyone asking how to package stuff to be sold is to
make your lots large enough that people won't balk at the Priority Mail
charges. I'd much rather pay $10 for two small sets, one of which I
don't really need, but might make use of, than $5 for one set if I'm
going to have to pay for Priority Mail.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com