 Marketplace / Auctions / 4723
Heads-up: eBay Preferences Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:51:15 GMT

Hi all,

I'm posting this in .market.auction so that it reaches the most
auctioneers.

Sneaky wabbits, they are.  I just got an email from eBay about
"reviewing my options and preferences"--to ensure that they're right,
because something hairy apparently happened in November.  I have a
feeling eBay is hoping lots of people won't check or will put it off,
because when I went to the page, all the "yes" marks for accepting
solicitous email, snail mail, and *shudder* telemarketing were ticked!
Any eBay LUGNETter who doesn't want these things, check your preferences
now:

http://pages.ebay.com/services/myebay/optin-login.html

They're saying that "past settings may no longer be reflected," and boy
are they correct.  At least they're notifying us, anyhow.  I'll forward
the whole email to any interested parties.  Unfortunately it does say
that it might take "14 days for changes to take effect."
(And I got my first eBay-related spam today, in fact.)

(BTW, I know all about eBay being paid for in part by this advertising,
and if you really feel like it's your *duty* to accept it, go right
ahead--but I get enough spam from other places, and enough telemarketers
when I'm trying to sleep, so any chance I can get to minimise the
number...go ahead, raise the fees!)

best

Lindsay