 Marketplace / Auctions / 2543
Re: [FA] on eBay - Blue hopper.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 01:22:33 GMT

I wonder about advertising for non-Ebay auctions but have no comment • either
way.

hehe. That slipped out. Honest. That listing is a clone of the SC one
(well, actually a clone of an early version.) If ebay complains I will
of course relist without it. I don't THINK it's against the TOS, is it?

While not in the actual user agreement (It only forbid links to IDENTICLE
items elsewhere as far as I can tell) the "Listing Policy" page at
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-list.html had the following:

----
Links
Users may place a simple link to another web page in the description portion
of their listing to help provide more information about the listed item.
However, the following links are not permitted:

links to other listing sites
links to sites offering the same merchandise for the same or lower price
links to sites offering merchandise prohibited on eBay
Policy: The links described above are not permitted and will be ended. The
insertion fee will be automatically credited for that listing.
----

I think that it safe to assme that "links to other listing sites" covers
this.

I point this out not to imply that you are wrong for doing so, or that you
shouldn't do it, just to point out that it is actually there in the terms
somewhere.

Of course, anyone that has seen any of my auctions knows that I rather
flagrantly point everyone to the BRICKS site, where the majority of my
auctions currently are.  Perhaps if eBay had a pricing structure that didn't
penalize those offering inexpensive lots then it would be otherwise.  But
they don't, and a quarter plus 5% for a lot that sells for under $1 is not
sustainable.

I guess I'd just be screwed if someone ever complained.  But I seriously
doubt that they pay people to look around for such things.

Troy