 Marketplace / Auctions / 2536
Re: What is up with this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:00:18 GMT

Ray Sanders wrote:

Frank Filz wrote:

The blue tubs are getting harder to find. I think only a few of the
local stores have any left. If they aren't available, the $30ish that
the price is now at is not absolutely unreasonable (compatable to the
Classic buckets, but you don't get non-bricks which you may not want).

  Hmmm. One opposing datapoint: the local WM had 12 blue tubs on the
shelf this morning. Four weeks ago they had zero. There must be some
still in the pipeline somewhere. The 12+ purple buckets I found a month
back are actually a better deal anyway.

But those 12 tubs don't do me any good unless I'm willing to pay you
enough to encourage you to go get them and send them to me (obviously I
don't actually need those 12 tubs or there would be no blue tubs in the
stores I shop at).

In one way, I should encourage people to run from eBay, but as Larry
points out, if the prices drop too low, the sellers will stop selling.
All in all, for the most part, I think the prices on eBay are fairly
reasonable. There are some spikes, but some of the sets I've seen go for
ridiculously high prices have also gone for fairly low prices. My guess
is that some of the spikes are caused by new AFOLs (I probably caused a
short term increase in pirate set prices). Some may be non-fan
collectors who think they're getting a good deal, and can turn the sets
around later for a proffit.

The new AFOLs should spend some time at yard sales and flea markets.
The pickings are slimmer, but the finds (sometimes for only a few bits)
can be awesome. I suspect a few of the 'new AFOLs' have benefitted from
the run-up in the stock market :)

I've spent about 3 long mornings yard saleing, and a few hours flea
marketting, and have not found a single set worthwhile of purchase
(found one flea market dealer with a few Time Cruiser's sets). Perhaps
that's not enough, but the return for my investment is pretty poor. But
then I have money to burn, someone with less money but more time would
be better off doing more scrounging.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com