 Marketplace / Auctions / 2534
Re: What is up with this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:56:41 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Troy Cefaratti writes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=168258232

A blue bucket for $31?  Are these not still available at just about any stor
for $19.99?

Perhaps I am going about this all wrong.  To think I spend all this time
trying to find sets on sale and then sort them out, when I could just buy
these sets at retail and resell them at 50% profit without even doing
anything!

The blue tubs are getting harder to find. I think only a few of the
local stores have any left. If they aren't available, the $30ish that
the price is now at is not absolutely unreasonable (compatable to the
Classic buckets, but you don't get non-bricks which you may not want).

I'll tell ya I don't get it either.  I have even considered quiting my job and
selling LEGO on ebay (Well not really but it would be nice).  I was lucky to
get a couple of small lots at what I considered reasonable from eBay but I have
now all but stopped even looking on E-Bay due to the rediculous bidding.  I am
now just checking sites like www.ebrickyard.com and www.guarded-inn.com and
wwww.nugator.com and other smaller auction sites.  The selection is not quite
as good but it is getting better so those are the sites I will support.

I guess it depends a bit on the themes you collect. I think the highest
premium over MSRP for sets I have paid on eBay is about 50% (well maybe
a little higher for some of the smaller sets - oh, then there's the NIB
836 window parts packs...). I've got a fairly complete Pirate
collection, much of which has been built from eBay (note however that my
BSB and SES did not come from eBay). I've also got a few castle items,
and a bunch of town sets (though nothing terribly old for the most
part).

I put in reasonable bids. If someone values a set higher than I do
(either due to impatience, unawareness of the market, or true desire)
they get it. Fine. Another one will be on the market tomorrow (maybe
even 2 or 3 when people holding onto them see how much they go for).

In one way, I should encourage people to run from eBay, but as Larry
points out, if the prices drop too low, the sellers will stop selling.
All in all, for the most part, I think the prices on eBay are fairly
reasonable. There are some spikes, but some of the sets I've seen go for
ridiculously high prices have also gone for fairly low prices. My guess
is that some of the spikes are caused by new AFOLs (I probably caused a
short term increase in pirate set prices). Some may be non-fan
collectors who think they're getting a good deal, and can turn the sets
around later for a proffit.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com