 Marketplace / Auctions / 1363
Re: Methodology: Reserve, Controlled Reserve, or No Reserve?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 03:05:56 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
4) No reserves whatsoever.  If you insist on getting at least price X,
then they must choose X as the minimum opening bid.
4.

Yeah, I gotta agree.  I understand how the same item can reach 2x the
reserve if the bidding starts low and then go unsold if the minimum is
the high amount the seller wants, which kinda sucks, but I still don't
like reserves, either as a buyer or a seller.

As both a buyer and a seller I think reserves usually just have the
potential to waste peoples' time.

'Course, systems like eBay encourage ridiculous reserves, with their
listing fee being tied to the minimum bid.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide