 Marketplace / Auctions / 1362
Re: Methodology: Reserve, Controlled Reserve, or No Reserve?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 20:54:42 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, dbulkley@SeriousCollector.com (Derick Bulkley)
writes:
Question to all armchair economists/sociologists/game-theorists:
(especially you, Todd ;-)

From both the stand point of the buyer, and then the seller, what are
your opinions of the following policies regarding secret reserve prices
in auctions:

1) Reserve ok, whatever the seller chooses, goes.

2) Controlled reserve - the reserve price cannot exceed the opening bid
by either $50 or 50%, whichever is greater.

3) Controlled Reserve: reserves are ok, but seller must state a "Value
Range" that brackets the reserve.  Sellers that state absurdly wide
ranges would be advised to do otherwise.

4) No reserves whatsoever.  If you insist on getting at least price X,
then they must choose X as the minimum opening bid.

4.

--Todd

I agree.

I personally don't bid on reserve price auctions until the reserve has
been met because it is a waste of my time (especially if you cannot make
firm bids :-))

--
Owen