 Marketplace / Auctions / 10141
Re: eBay etiquette advice needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:53:09 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Richie Dulin wrote:
   Well, it finally happened: 53 completed transactions on eBay as a buyer, and one went bad.

Sadly, there are lots of anonymous hands involved between buyer and seller. Before I got myself a PO Box, 50% of parcels were left on my front door, contractors ring the doorbell and go racing off.

   It’s only a small transaction (c.$A12) and I can wear the loss (though I’d prefer not to, obviously).

If you chose not to insure... Why should a seller wear the cost ?

   I sent the money, the seller (100% positive feedback) - with whom I haven’t dealt before - received it, and claims he or she sent the Lego, but it never arrived here (more than a month has passed since the seller claims shipment).

I have no particular reason to doubt the seller, and would be happy to leave it at that, and leave no feedback at all.

Unless you can prove one way or the other, no feedback is the appropriate response in most cases.

   But I do have a niggling doubt... my immediate reaction is to leave no feedback, but what if other purchasers have done the same? Buyer beware, and all, but maybe it would be worth me warning other buyers...

I don’t know. I think I have three options:

1. I ignore it, and leave no feedback
2. I post neutral feedback, noting that the item was lost in the post, and I bear no grudge against the seller.
3. I post negative feedback.

I’m not keen on 3... 1 or 2 would be okay, but I’m still leaning toward 1.

What do people think? (Interestingly, the seller hasn’t left me feedback, either. If I was suspicious I might think that was so that they could post neg feedback for me, if I did to him or her.).

When most feedback is over-gushingly positive as standard, a neutral feedback can be seen as a defacto negative. A neutral feedback will cost a seller bids, whereas neutral feedback will have little effect on a buyer.

Some sellers will not leave feedback until they are given feedback. Some buyers never leave feedback at all. Just the way it is.

pete.w