 Marketplace / Appraisal / 697
Re: 50 x 50 grey baseplate and blue attache case set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:10:03 GMT

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Frank Filz wrote:
Paul Sinasohn wrote:

Does anyone have an estimate on what these older baseplates have sold for,
historically?

A gentleman came to the BAYLUG meeting and had 2 that he's interested in
selling.

I see one on BrickLink (bay) for $18, and I'm wondering if that's low or high.

I forget what Paul Gyugi (sp?) sold me the 50x50 road plates for, I
think it was about $15 each (it may have been $25 for two), so $18
sounds reasonable if they are in very good condition.

Frank

The Samsonite Lego 50x50 plate was known as #799 (same number used in Europe)
when it was first introduced in late 1965.  But in 1968 for some reason
Samsonite Lego changed it to #079 from 1968-70.

If he had a 50x50 plate with green grass areas, and a road design in light
blue-gray (without any road markings) in a sort of a "?" question mark curving
design, then it would be a #078 Samsonite Lego item.

Although the 50x50 gray plate was made for both Europe and North America, the
#078 50x50 road plate was only sold in USA/Canada (Samsonite), and only in 1970.
It was the very first (plastic) road plate ever produced in Lego.  I would
estimate the price of that one at about $50 in good condition, to about $150 in
sealed mint plastic wrap.

I have 2 of these, and I need to get a scan for use in Lugnet database and
brickshelf.  But the pictures will make their premier in my CD this fall. :-(

Gary Istok