 Marketplace / Appraisal / 550
Re: Another great find!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 04:20:10 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Josh Baakko writes:
I don't know if I'm lucky, or what...

I won an auction of legos, & to my suprise I have once again received OLD
parts!  This time I found several "Pat. Pend." (Patent Pending) plates.  Is
it just me or are older parts showing up more?

And as last time, I'm wondering again, are these worth much?

I don't think that older Pat. Pend. parts are worth any more than any other
Lego pieces.  As far as I am concerned, they are Lego pieces just like any
other.  I do know that some people who work at re-constructing old Lego sets
like to have the old Pat. Pend. pieces in order to make the set more authentic.
Overall, though, it is the condition of these older pieces that is important.

On that note, I just recently received a shipment of Lego from an Ebay auction.
For an auction close price of $2.50 plus $6.00 shipping I got what appears to
be a complete copy of set 112 from 1977.  This set did not have instructions,
but the in-box catalog is in near perfect condition, the box is in great shape,
and _THE PARTS LOOK LIKE NEW_
Not only that, I also got sets 194 and 770.  See here -->
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=112_1%2C+194%2C+770&v=a
These 2 sets are not 100 percent complete, but do have all of the rare and
essential pieces.  Plus more additional pieces not from these three sets.

The majority of the parts are Excellent, Like New.  I mean _really new looking_
like they were only played with once and then stored in this box.  Plus the
White bricks are _NOT_ discolored at all and there was not a dusty brick in the
whole lot.

Until this shipment arrived, I figured I paid too much for shipping just the
set 112, but with so many other excellent parts (with the Pat. Pend. or the
later crossed-out versions) I definitely made out very, very well.  This was
definitely an excellent Lego find--too bad I did not bid on more lots by this
seller when they were available.

As old and as excellent as these parts are, however, I do not consider them any
more valuable than any other Lego part.  I mean a 2 x 4 brick is a 2 x 4 brick
no matter how old it is, right??  I am simply amazed at how excellent these
pieces all are--they make my 25 year old Lego pieces look very poor (and they
have always been carefully handled and sorted).

I have already set aside about half of the basic bricks from this Lot to be
resold as "USED" pieces as they are surplus pieces to me.  I will not be making
any distinction about their age, only their quality when I eventually list them
for resale on Brickbay.  Whether or not they have Pat. Pend. imprinted on them
is of no consequence to me--the overall quality is more important.

__Kevin Salm__
....Lego brick enthusiast for over 20 years....

.