 Marketplace / Appraisal / 367
Re: WHAT THE F@#$%??!?!?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 16:36:54 GMT

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Daniel Allen writes:
What's up with this set!?!?!??!??! HOW IS IT WORTH THAT MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=483714641&ed=973731233

Well, it is certainly not worth that much all by itself.  And it certainly is
not worth that much to me as much as I would like to add it to my collection.

But I can think of a few reasons why someone would be willing to pay such a
high amount for such a simple but somewhat rare set (in the US).

1.  Some people just have too much money to spend on Lego.

2.  Ebay has a way of making people bid crazy amounts.  It appears that there
was a minor bidding war at the very last moment by a few bidders and the price
jumped considerably.  I bet the winning bidder is not too pleased to have to
pay so much while those that drove the price up are probably saying to
themselves "If I can't have it I am glad that the person who gets it has to
pay a lot for it" for example.

3.  The auction description makes it sound like a very attractive item to
buy--at least to me.

4.  This set has some uncommon pieces and the bank stickers are unique to this
set.  The rarest piece I see is the banker minifig (Black with Blue arms).  I
know of only one other set that has this fig which is set 6368 Jet Airliner -->
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6368

5.  If this set were one of the last sets needed for a collector to be Town
complete or 1990 complete, for example, it may be worth much more.

6.  This set was not avialable in the US except possibly from Lego Shop @ Home
service which makes this item somewhat rare.

Still, the bidder is definitely paying too much for this item.

__Kevin Salm__