 Marketplace / Appraisal / 318
Re: "Buy The Brick"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:09:43 GMT

Am I mistaken or have we as a whole (Lego community) tried to avoid a price
guide!!??

I can see why the price guide..To make money.. and of course why not we all
have to earn a living..

I suggest the heck with price guides and the heck with the spam.. the
Andreas Stabno got slammed on not but a week or two ago..

Should we not be boycotting this as its accuracy(like Todd already
mentioned) is off the mark..??

anyone else have any ideas/feedback??

Regards

Dave

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.market.auction, Sean Harrington writes:
[...] Based on what I saw quoted in the price guide, I overpaid, so it
neither affected my desire for the product, nor did it hurt the seller's
profits.

Don't feel bad.

I really question whether the prices there accurately reflect demand and
"real-life experience" market prices.  I had a quick look over the Space
stuff and some of the other stuff and it seemed to me that, in my • experience,
many of the prices shown there were ridiculously low.  Less than $100 on a
<set:6987>?  Come on.  If one ever sells that low, then there's something
wrong with the set (incomplete or dirty) or the seller (unknown or bad
reputation) or the venue (poorly advertised or too-short auctioned).  $70
for a <set:6980>?  Where are they?  I'll take 10 at that price.

On the plus side, it seems like most of the values I examined were within • 2x
of a reasonable price -- so that's at least helpful in comparing the • relative
values of sets.  Also, the "high" column seems fairly accurate to a • typical
auction price, or somewhere about 1/3 of the way between the "high" and • the
"price" column.  Nobody's gonna see a price like the "low" column unless
they're extremely lucky or are buying a set in really rough shape.

I thought it was nice to see prices on current sets, BTW.

--Todd

[xfut -> .market.appraisal]