 Marketplace / Appraisal / 208
Re: Market Value of Lego sets under different conditions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:14:48 GMT

Here's 2 cents to play with

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Bob Parker writes:

3) More Incomplete (with specialty pieces missing worse than basic pieces
missing):
4) Damaged Pieces

IMHO, by the time you've gotten to level 3, the set has lost its integrity, and
you would be better served in selling by grouping remaining specialty pieces
together and selling them that way

5) Pieces Obviously Replaced (i.e. different color or newer condition is
evident)

If a set in this condition still has box and instructions, it will have more
value of course. You can't advertise it as MIB, of course, but I would call it
"Complete Set, reproduced with original instructions/box"

This is how I created my first 396 T-P Engine. It could sell to unknowing
buyers as an original out-of-box set, but I won't do that.

6) Opened Lego set Not from a smoke-free home

Some people don't care about sets/boxes with smoke. I put them in the garage
for a year or two until the residue sublimates away

Does the availability of scanned instructions (pre-1998 only of course)
significantly impact the value of the set if the original instructions are
missing (not counting serious collectors)?
I don't think so.

Paul Sinasohn
bearitone@my-deja.com