 Marketplace / Appraisal / 207
206  |  208
Subject:
Market Value of Lego sets under different conditions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:10:06 GMT

Since storage space is always at a premium and I have a NLS, I was wondering
how important it is to keep Lego sets complete as possible (for the future).
I do assemble the sets (eventually) and then put them away for later, but most
original boxes have bit the dust.

I have listed Lego sets under various conditions that I thought of.  I was
wondering what other factors are involved that I am missing?  Since there are
so many people with much more knowledge than I have, I am posting this for
your comments.  Here goes:

1) Complete:
a) mint in box (i.e. unopened)
b) open box and unopened plastic bags w/instructions
c) open box and no plastic bags w/instructions
(Does anybody save the plastic bags after opening the box and assembling the
Lego?)

2) Somewhat Incomplete:
a) all pieces present & instructions included; no plastic bags, trays
or cardboard dividers
b) all pieces present & instructions included, no box
c) all pieces present, no instructions or box

3) More Incomplete (with specialty pieces missing worse than basic pieces
missing):
a) some pieces missing
b) more pieces missing
c) many pieces missing

4) Damaged Pieces
- chewed
- discolored (especially white)
- bent/broken
- lost all shine and/or very very dirty

5) Pieces Obviously Replaced (i.e. different color or newer condition is
evident)

6) Opened Lego set Not from a smoke-free home

Does the availability of scanned instructions (pre-1998 only of course)
significantly impact the value of the set if the original instructions are
missing (not counting serious collectors)?

Thanks for putting up with my detail-attentiveness.

- Bob