 Local / United States / Utah / Salt Lake City / 8
Re: Introduction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ut.slc
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 18:12:27 GMT

Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Michael Ulring writes:
Hello, I may be moving to the SLC area after the holidays (mid-Jan
'99).  How popular is LEGO in the area?  Do most stores still carry
older sets?  I'm currently in Ohio where there are a lot of collectors
and the older stuff is quite hard to find.

hey michael, let us know if it pans out and you end up in utah!

How popular is Lego?  I only know of four other serious Legomaniacs in the
area, and one of them is my wife.  :-,  Any time I mention my second favorite
pasttime to anyone, they laugh, pause a minute, then say "oh, how...what the
heck?"  Puzzled side glances often follow.

sproat pegged that one right on, but i'm betting there are more than a few
'closet' fans out here...i remember once walking by a toy aisle in zcmi and a
couple of business-men types were discussing the sets as though they were
collectors (i was too timid to strike up conversation with them...shame on me!)

the only other bummer about being in the west is that we don't usually see the
sets when they are first released until one or two months after a
first-spotting in the eastern u.s., maybe this will change soon though (i think
that guy that found the 1999 mini-catalog is in washington)

..jg