 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 80
Re: NELUG LegoFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.org.us
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:08:25 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma, Daniel Moquin writes:

I'd just like to know how many people would be interested in attending and on
what days you're free.

November is pretty open for me, but I work on Saturdays- and an all day trip is
likely to be on a Saturday.

I would be free either of the first two weekends of the month, Sunday and/or
Monday.  I'd love to be able to go, too!  Although, maybe we could arrange a
tour with TLG?  I have heard of them doing things like that before, like for Ed
Jones/Boxer (of course, they extended the invitation to him, because they were
photographing his model).  Perhaps we could weasel a similar offer out of them?

I know at the first meeting I was supposed to write up a draft of a letter to
send to TLG, but I hit some very big initial walls in style that I have been
meaning to discuss with the group.  It would, however, better be discussed in
person (email/usenet is nice and all, but it's still too individualised to
facilitate a free-moving flow of ideas).  The problem is, it's looking less and
less like I can make it tonight....

Ok, so, here's the really big issue:  I think that a letter of the type we're
talking about sending is more likely to get a positive and definitive response
if it comes from a single person representing the group (i.e., Hi, my name is
so-and-so and I represent NELUG, etc etc etc, I would love to hear from you
about how you would like our relationship to develop, blah blah blah).  A
person at TLG is more likely to be responsive to a person elsewhere, rather
than to a whole group (IMHO... see the example of the guy who was able to buy
bulk bricks in NZ/Oz as an example.  He forged a personal relationship and
reaped rewards).

The problem is, I was uncomfortable writing said letter setting myself up to be
that person without the approval of the rest of the group.  Beleive me, I have
no probem being that person, I just didn't want to assume the responsibility
for it without the ok of the group.

Right!  So I guess the subject has now been brought up.  Discuss.

eric