 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 31
30  |  32
Subject:
Results of our first meeting.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:42:03 GMT

Just thought I would let you all know how the first meeting of NELUG went for
those of you that weren't there and provide a synopsis for those that were.

First there were 5 of us at the meeting and we had a very productive discussion
about NELUG and LEGO in general.  Basically these are some of the ideas (idears
for us native Bostonians :)  ) we had and some of the preliminary thought we
had.

These are listed in no particular order.

1.  We are going to try and meet on a regular basis.  We are going to try and
have the next meeting at the end of August.  (Site/Date/Time to be determined).
I have offered my house up again but I would like to rotate the location as
much as possible to allow people from different areas a chance to make some
meetings.

2.  Besides our 1 or 2 meetings a month we would also like to try and have some
sort of super meeting once every 3 months or so.  (As Chris P. termed it "A
Black Brick event")  This event could be general and it could be themed.  For
example we could pose a challenge to be solved using Robotics/Mindstorms and
then anyone who wanted to could bring a Robot to try and solve the challenge.

3.  We are going to start a FAQ page on the web site.

4.  I am going to get a new Logo on the web site.

5.  Eric J. has offered to draft a letter to TLG notifying them of our
existance and asking them in general "What can you do for us?"

6.  We may want to organize a trip to Enfield at some point.  (If we get enough
people we may even storm the place and take all the LEGO  :)  ).

7.  We are going to have 3 levels of membership (At least to start).  The 3
levels are as follows.
    A.  Red Brick  (This is a Free Membership)
    B.  Silver Brick  ($10 per year)
    C.  Gold Brick  ($20+ per year)
All money collected will go towards expenses and the use of any surplus will be
decided upon by the paying members (Like buying some LEGO and having a grab
bag).  Although the benefits of the different levels of membership have not
been fully decided yet, some Ideas include having space for pictures and an
@nelug.org mailing address that would forward to your personal mailing address
are some ideas.  Gold members would also be allowed to submit HTML code for
personal pages.  The size of files has to be determined and a provision for
when and if NELUG gets to big for this kind of offer need to be decided.

8.  We are not going to develop a formal "Mission Statement" at this point
because we want to make things as general as possible and not restrict
ourselves.  The only things we decided is that this group is for Adults 18+
(21+ if drinking is involved) and that it is all about LEGO.

9.  I would post to rec.toys.lego and ne.general to announce our group.  (I
have done this although the post has not appeared in ne.general yet so I will
watch that and will re-post if it does not show up by tomorrow)

Thats it for now.  I probably won't get to the web site until tomorrow night to
update the Logo and start the FAQ page.

Eric K.

Remember to remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail.

The New England Lego Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/