 Local / United States / Oregon / Portland / 82
81  |  83
Subject:
Matt's Roller Coaster is showing again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.or.por
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 04:59:26 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

My roller coaster has been down in the basement for a few months undergoing
upgrades and modifications, but it is now showing again!  It is showing this
weekend at the Beaverton Mall in Beaverton, Oregon, and you can see it
Sunday the 7th from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm.  It was also public today, but I
didn't want to announce it unless it was going to work. :)

But it has worked very well, even though I am not there to run it (thanks
PNLTC guys!)  If you miss it, it is visible from the PNLTC (www.pnltc.org)
space, right in the front window, during mall hours.  The next planned
public exhibition and running is the weekend of August 3rd and 4th in the
same spot.

Improvements over its first show at GATS in Portland in February include:
  Elevator chain revisions to prevent chain breaks
  Elevator chain arrestor system to prevent train reversal in a chain break
  Stronger track setup on elevator to prevent the train leaving the track
for any reason.
  Lowered track on elevator so the train fits snugger
  Reworked system under the train to attach to the elevator chain and rubber
drive belts.
  Drive wheels at bottom of the elevator hill to ensure coupling of train to
elevator chain
  Revision of system at bottom of hill so the train always engages the
elevator chain properly
  New seat belt system in train cars with lap/chest and side restraints.
  New drive wheels in service area to ensure smoother operation
  New reinforcing at the top and bottom of the elevator hill
  New modular functions added to make setup, takedown and transport easier

Overall, I have had almost no casualties in operation due to the greatly
increased safty of the elevator and the train cars.  Plus, due to drive
wheel improvements the roller coaster is completely independent once turned on.

If you can't get down to see it in person, check
www.insidethevault.com/rollercoaster/ for pictures and descriptions from
GATS in February.  As soon as I get some new pics I'll get them up and
announced.

-Matt :)