 Local / United States / New Jersey / 257
Re: Biomechanical Bricks - Jama - Storming Robots - REPORT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 01:41:09 GMT

In lugnet.events, Eric Sophie wrote:
   Hey all, Danny at Orion Robots wrote on his blog about a show I am doing this weekend.
Check it out, you might want to come if you are in the area.

-Snip-

What a great time!

Day one
March 3rd 2006

I just arrived home from the first day of the conference. The 15th Annual New Jersey Association for Gifted Children. Held at the Hilton in New Brunswick New Jersey.

Day one.

There were lot’s of people asking questions.

The director of Storming Robots; Elizabeth and her programming manager; Rebecca, and I, spoke to many people about the benefit of using MINDSTORMS as a learning tool.

I displayed the upper half of Jama. Elizabeth focused on programming the armature using RoboLab. We found a way to introduce a touch sensor to the elbow joint of Jama’s left arm. This made programming easier and we then set Jama’s arm to move about. People loved it!

The day ended around 4pm. So we closed our exhibit booth and discussed our presentation for Saturday.

I woke up early, 6am, and drove over to my studio, where I packed up Jama and Mr. Krinkle. Forgetting my camera in the process.

I’ll be sure to grab the camera for Saturday. I will be making a gallery archive for the event.

I had a great time.

We also used the light sensor in Jama’s chest to trigger behaviors in the arm. Plenty of teachers asked questions and told us stories about their very own Lego Masters either in their schools or at home!

“My son is the king of Lego!” One proud parent exclaimed. Then we directed her attention to her left where the upper half of Jama was situated. She hadn’t noticed the big robot moving just next to her. “Ok, so maybe he has a way to go.......but he loves building Lego!”

I said “So do I, I remember feeling the same way”. We both smiled.

Day one completed.

Day two should be even more fun. That is when all the families will come. I was told (jokingly) that I should bring extra water, because I will be talking a lot.

If they only knew the many shows I have done over the course of my career. I love it every time. Sharing what I do for the enrichment of tomorrow’s next generation of thinkers.

Eric Sophie 2006

Day two

Day two was even better!

What fun talking to all kinds of people. Many gifted and talented children passed by our exhibit asking all kinds of questions!

If I had a nickle for everytime I said the words “....on Lego.com....” !!!

Elizabeth and I did a presentation about her company Storming Robots. The kids were really excited. She brought several robots and set them up for the kids to use and explore. I did a short presentation about Jama.

The kids swamped my set up looking and showing their interest.

In turn we answered many questions from interested teachers. Our goal was to introduce people to the Storming Robots facility where Robo Camps as well as other enrichment programs are held. Though we openly shared general knowledge about MINDSTORMS.

We had a long day talking to people. Our robots were well received. I could tell the organizers were really happy we were there.

Check out the gallery:

Elizabeth talked to me about some cool building tricks using the RCX and other sensors. I talked to her about cool building tricks using gears and TECHNIC elements. Sharing ideas and knowledge. She even had some really rare parts she got when she visited Billund.

She’s a real pro with Robo Lab. I was suitably impressed. I was proud to present with her and Rebecca’s smiles were pricless. I just know there are many kids at home building now. People were so excited.

Mr. Krinkle was a hit!

For more information visit Danny’s blog on Orion Robots

Visit www.biomechanicalbricks.com

Eric Sophie