 Local / United States / North Carolina / Raleigh / 25
24  |  26
Subject:
Star Wars in Portland, OR
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.or.por, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral, lugnet.loc.us.nc.dur
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:30:46 GMT

Odd collection of news groups to post this to but once you read through
you'll see the linkage ... ;-)

I am in Portland (actually Wilsonville) for a couple of days this week (from
Raleigh, NC) and had a little free time this afternoon so I decided to scout
out the Portland LEGO market.  I had heard from someone a while back that
Finnegan's in downtown Portland had some older sets so I headed into
Portland.  I picked up a 2152 (for the black gable elements missing from the
black slope parts pack) and decided to stop at a few stores on my way back
to Lake Oswego.  Not being in any real hurry I took a round about path.

Star Wars Sets Found!

Found the Land Speeder (3) and Speeder Bikes (2) at a Fred Meyer on Rt. 10
in the Raleigh Hills area.  Found Snow Speeder (1), Tie Fighter/Y-Wing (8),
and Land Speeder (5) at Fred Meyer at intersection of Rt. 10 and Rt. 217 in
Beaverton.  Found Tie Fighter (5) and a whole case (10) of Land Speeders at
the TRU on Rt. 217 near the Washington Square Mall.

I didn't buy any of them!  I already had the Snow Speeder, X-Wing, and Land
Speeder from a trip to the LIC in Orlando, and I decided I could live
without the Speeder Bikes.  I also decided that hauling the Tie/Y home with
me on the plane with me could be a real hassle.  I figure it will show up in
Raleigh eventually (maybe).

While at the TRU on 217 several people came in and checked out the sets but
the price tag on the Tie/Y ($50) scared them away.  One guy was trying to
get his wife to buy it for him for his anniversary present.  I think he
ended up getting a Land Speeder instead

I was actually quite surprised to find four of the five sets.  In my travels
around the Raleigh/Durham (NC) area I have only seen one Star Wars set on
the shelves (mid-March time frame) and that was a Snow Speeder at the
Wal-Mart in North Durham.

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh@mentorg.com
http://members.tripod.com/mike_walsh