Re: I'll be visiting this weekend
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 03:28:03 GMT

What is the con?

It's called "Courts of Chaos Con".
It's a regional convention devoted to gaming
in the setting of Roger Zelazny's "Chronicles of Amber"
(which, incidentally, is something I've been using
as inspiration for some of my not-yet-reveled plots
for my contributions to the LUGNet CastleWorld project. ;-)

Ahh, sounds cool.  Does it move around
or is there a significant population of Amber gamers in Raleigh
(I'm moderately connected to the fan world here
and haven't heard about this one).

Nope.  Amber-related cons tend to be much smaller
than "regular" sci-fi cons, on average.
There's a central web page for all of the Amber cons:
"http://www.ambercons.com/"

Since the Amber Diceless RPG was playtested up in Detroit
for so many years, that's where you'll find the single largest
group of Amber fans.  This con in Raleigh was started
by three locals pimarily because there *wasn't* anyone else
hosting anything nearby!  (One of my friends here in Atlanta
ran an Amber-related con this year and the previous one,
but won't anymore because he lost a fair bit of money on it.
It seems that the SouthEast is a "desert" for sci-fi cons
in general, compared to the rest of the US.)

Thanks,
Franklin