 Local / United States / Missouri / 21
Re: Greater Midwest Lego Users Group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mo
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:08:05 GMT

   Missouri IS in the Midwest.  Thats all I have to say about that.

--
   Have fun!
   John
Christopher Weeks wrote in message <37E4FDBC.EEBBDAA1@eclipse.net>...
IMO, the Midwest doesn't go South of the Ohio River,

Well, Missouri isn't south of the Ohio.

and if your state
considers itself to be on the Great Plain, then it ain't Midwest.

I don't think MO does, but again, what has that to do with it?

Part of Missouri is on the Great Plains.

Or maybe the Midwest is everything in the Central time zone.  Between • the
Northern and Southern US borders, of course.

This would seem to me to be the correct assumption.

I think it's close.  I was a Missourian and I know that Kansas, but not
Colorado is in the MW, and Indiana (I guess), but not Ohio is in the MW.
But because I've heard several other different opinions, I think that
anyone who considers themselves part of the midwest, extends it out at
least to the next state over.  I know someone in mid Ohio who thinks
he's in the MW and thinks it extends into Western PA.

Neither MIDdle nor WEST have any Latitudinal connotations.

Well, one could take middle to have latitudinal connotations.  Like, not
northern, and not southern.

It seems to mean In the middle between the East (New England) and the • West (The
Rockies to the Pacific.)

Shouldn't it mean the middle of the west?  So, we draw a N-S line
through the center of the lower 48 and then we identify the middle of
the W side.  That centers it on Colorado which is clearly not culturally
affiliated with the MW as I think of it.

They do call the Rockies the Continental Divide, after all.

Well, it happens that the continental divide runs through the rockies,
but that doesn't make it a reasonable divider.  We could just as
reasonably call the Appalachians the continental divide.

-Amos Bieler

Christopher Weeks