 Local / United States / Minnesota / Minneapolis/St. Paul / 9
REPORT: The 1998 GREAT CREATE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 04:17:24 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

So how'd it go this year?  Any humongous DUPLO towers?  Aquazone
superstructures?

--Todd

We (daughter Anna & I) arrived at the 6th Annual Great Create at 10:00
am Saturday. First we registered for the noon building contest and 3:00
Scavenger Hunt. No adult building contest this year—due to lack of
participation—only 2 teams last year  :P  but I donated $5.00 so I could
get my very own yellow hard hat with LEGO logo and LEGO Certificate of
Achievement  :)
Then we scoped out the in-progress building contest, travelling giant
LEGO race car display and a big Train/Town setup done by a (regional?)
group of adult LEGO enthusiasts—didn't really get a chance to talk to
them. Very cool rectangular setup with lots of neat ideas including a
working  amusement park, 5 different trains with trestles and bridges,
baseball stadium (Blacktron II vs Magnetron), underground train (with
Darth Vader and Luke hidden in the crowd—pretty sure they were MOC's)
and views of what was going on under the water in harbour.
We plopped down and built for awhile in the LEGO free play area. Most of
the bricks/elements spread out were from current sets—lots of Fright
Knights, Divers, Ninja and Freestyle—not so much Town stuff or older
stuff (no stadium-long chains of fire dept ladders) I messed around with
different ideas—mostly a walking robot, and Anna built a big fancy horse
stable. It's neat having zillions of LEGO bricks to choose from but I
found it frustrating digging thru huge mixed-up piles. I really do
appreciate the organization of elements that I have with my stuff at
home. There were the usual giant DUPLO skyscrapers and 85-car Primo
trains plus a huge tree fort made out of hundreds of 3x3x6 Brown
Quarter-Octagonal Castle Walls. The thing that amazed (saddened) me the
most was a bunch of parents just sat there in the folding chairs
surrounding the free play area and WATCHED their kids build rather than
getting down on the Astroturf and digging in. It was neat crawling
around where hours later the Vikings would post their eighth win of the
season by beating the New Orleans Saints 31-24.
Anna participated in the noon building contest (everyone involved got
the same number of misc elements and bricks) She got somewhat frustrated
because she got a pair of big Insectoid wings but only 1 of the 1x2
bricks needed to attach them both to the bug she was making. With 45
minutes of building time and a limited/random pool to work from there
were some neat creations from the kids. Good prizes too—Ninja Flying
Fortresses, Technic CD-ROM Subs, etc...
We ate lunch, then more building in free play zone. We then lined up for
the 3:00 Scavenger Hunt. Turnout was over twice what they had expected
so there were 50 teams of 4 searching for the 30 rare elements worth
1–20 points each (multiple copies allowed) We finished 4th or 5th (out
of ribbon/prize contention) First place team had almost 3x the points of
next-closest team leading me to believe there might have been some
pre-contest element hoarding involved... oh well. We were late for our
ride (tabulation of points took more time than they thought it would)
Cheryl wasn't TOO mad...
I did run into a couple people I know—Brian Kelley and his brother, and
Abner from the LIC at the MOA. I forgot to make a nametag up for myself
so if there were other RTLers or LUGnuts there I guess I missed them. (I
was probably the only 6'5" white male wearing a yellow hardhat if you
remember me) I also turned some adults on to RTL, LUGNET, AucZILLA.
I was bummed that the tee shirt was dopey this year—white with red
lettering (we passed on it)—not at all like the cool black tee shirt 2
years ago with the small 3-color bricks logo. Anna got a little 6902 UFO
and I got a 6428 Res-Q set in our grab bags as we exited the Metrodome.
I was actually tired of building with LEGO—for once I had my fill of
bricks. I did take a few pictures and if they turn out/are of any
interest I will try to post them on my web page in progress.
Until next year...
--
Bill Toenjes
(TooMuchDew)  ICQ UIN#17112614; IRC nick:  ^2muchdew