 Local / United States / Minnesota / Minneapolis/St. Paul / 45
Re: Formation of local train club
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.mi.det, lugnet.loc.us.il.chi
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:06:06 GMT

Excellent news. Needs wider circulation. Hence my post to a few more
groups.

John Neal wrote:

Well, I met with the local guys who have been showing Lego trains at the
GATS (on and off since '85 I learned!) and let me tell you!  But first
off, I should say that, originally, I wanted to be in a group such as
the PNLTC and so I started contacting people whom I thought would be
interested in forming such a club, (not knowing about this group of
guys).  The name "Upper Midwest Lego Train Club" was just  one I came up
with to describe the group I was trying to form.
Then Ben Fleskes steered me to John Gerlach, who is apart of this local
group.  I emailed John and he invited me to come and meet some guys and
check out their set-up, which I did last nite.  And here's my report...
Let me tell you!  They have got a SWEET set-up, with literally 10's of
thousands of bricks at their disposal, and I didn't even SEE their train
set-up, which was packed away in a trailer!  I said "Is this heaven?"
and John said "No, Northeast Minneapolis."  All seriousness aside, they
are well, well established in train modeling; pioneers, if you will, and
so my little quest to form a club has ended upon the discovery of these
guys and their willingness to accept newcomers into their "fold".
You gotta like a group who just get together and build and show and
haven't really stopped to worry about such banalities as a name, logo,
web site, etc.  Those were the FIRST things I thought of!  But those
things are finally coming, too, which is good because I'm getting tired
of referring to them as "the local lego train guys" (altho TLLTG was
starting to grow on me:)
In conclusion, heaven is in NE MPLS, and my dream of being a part of a
Lego train club is coming true.  As the group formalizes and after they
set up a web page, they will quickly become a high profile club on par
with the PNLTC.  They are not really into the Lugnet.trains or rlt and
its goings-on, so I am unofficially acting as a conduit (humbly, of
course) at this time to say that, if anyone is interested in
participating in such a club, they should post here.