 Local / United States / Maine / 18
Re: Follow-up (Re: Cross posting of NELUG announcement)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.vt
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:04:44 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:
[...]
I was very happy with the initial response.  I recieved 5 submissions of the
form on NELUG and that does not include Robert Munafo who expressed interest
earlier, Larry Pieniazek who has a long distance interest, or myself.  So it
sounds like a group to me! :)

Five sounds like enough people to me too.  :)  Of course I'm sure there
really must be about 20 or more who'll jump when it sounds even more "real"
to them, and then lots more after that, slowly.

Most of us seem to be in the general Boston/Eastern Mass area.  But we do
have 1 person from CT and one from Worcester so a Western Mass meeting at
some point is a possibility.

BTW, here are some (very unofficial) statistics about LEGO fans in the New
England area -- these are from counting state abbreviations in snailmail
addresses on the AucZILLA mailing list:

   41 living in New York State (NY)    [is NY considered part of New England?]
   29 living in Massachusetts (MA)
   12 living in Connecticut (CT)
   10 living in Vermont (VT)
    7 living in New Hampshire (NH)
    5 living in Rhode Island (RI)
    1 living in Maine (ME)
  ===
  105 total (64 without NY)

That's just counting people who I know have bought bricks online -- certainly
not every single LEGO fanatic by any means -- but probably many of the most
devoted ones.

(No, I can't disclose the actual addresses themselves.  (Not that anyone
is asking :-))

[...]
Many of you don't like the URL and believe me I don't either but I hope that
that will change at some point.  I did some checking and both www.nelug.org
and www.nelug.net are still available.  I have two options however and both
would make it transparent that NELUG was on GeoCities which I know some have
concerns with.

1.  I don't want to commit to www.nelug.org / .net until we meet a couple of
times and I feel confidant that we have a basis for on-going support of this
group.  Cost is not a problem however and I will be happy to pick up the tab.
This does raise one problem however.  Currently both NELUG and my personal
site are under the same GeoCities account so I would have to have to change
my site to www.nelug.org/kingsley/ or something like that.  I don't have a
problem with that but if any of you do let me know.

I'd highly recommend www.nelug.org and a Pair Networks <www.pair.com> Advanced
Account <http://www.pair.com/pair/advanced.html> or Webmaster Account
<http://www.pair.com/pair/webmaster.html>, both of which give nice hunks of
disk space and serious amounts of outgoing daily traffic.  Pair is located in
Pittsburgh and has many attractive and reliable hosting options:
<http://www.pair.com/pair/services.html>

2.  Instead of waiting I could sign up for a more generic URL and give NELUG
a page under that site.  For example www.graybrick.com is still available
and I could give NELUG a page under that like www.graybrick.com/NELUG/ and
then I would have my site under it as well as www.graybrick.com/kingsley/.
The benifit to this is that I would be willing to do it right away if that
is what people want.

Sounds watered down to me.  I'm really impressed with what the baylug.org folks
have done!  (BTW, they might have some tips on hosting!)

[...]
Another idea some had was to collect dues.  Now I admit that this may become
necessary in the future but right now I just want to meet people that share
the share the same hobby as I do and schedule events around that.  For now
I want this to be relatively informal and free.

Sounds good to me.  Having more LEGO geeks in the area to meet with regularly
or semi-regularly would be a lot of fun!  Informal is great.  :)

Count me in for helping out on any payment issues to get it off the ground
if needed.

--Todd