 Local / United States / Massachusetts / 36
Re: Follow-up (Re: Cross posting of NELUG announcement)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.vt
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:09:29 GMT

--- Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Eric Kingsley wrote:
[...] • <snip>...
Five sounds like enough people to me too.  :)  Of
course I'm sure there
really must be about 20 or more who'll jump when it
sounds even more "real"
to them, and then lots more after that, slowly.

I really hope so.  Plus that 5 did not include me so I guess it is really 6.
:)

<snip>

BTW, here are some (very unofficial) statistics
about LEGO fans in the New
England area -- these are from counting state
abbreviations in snailmail
addresses on the AucZILLA mailing list:

   41 living in New York State (NY)    [is NY
considered part of New England?]

NY is not considered part of New England geographically.  (I think many people
in Western CT don't consider themselve part of New England either but thats
their problem.  :)  ).

   29 living in Massachusetts (MA)
   12 living in Connecticut (CT)
   10 living in Vermont (VT)
    7 living in New Hampshire (NH)
    5 living in Rhode Island (RI)
    1 living in Maine (ME)
  ===
  105 total (64 without NY)

That's just counting people who I know have bought
bricks online -- certainly
not every single LEGO fanatic by any means -- but
probably many of the most
devoted ones.

(No, I can't disclose the actual addresses
themselves.  (Not that anyone
is asking :-))

I would never...  :)

[...] • <snip>

I'd highly recommend www.nelug.org and a Pair
Networks <www.pair.com> Advanced
Account <http://www.pair.com/pair/advanced.html> or
Webmaster Account
<http://www.pair.com/pair/webmaster.html>, both of
which give nice hunks of
disk space and serious amounts of outgoing daily
traffic.  Pair is located in
Pittsburgh and has many attractive and reliable
hosting options:
<http://www.pair.com/pair/services.html>

Pair looks Great!  Plus they aren't to expensive.  I think what I would suggest
is going with the Advanced account at first and if we needed to we can upgrade
to a Webmaster account if we needed to for a very small incremental fee.

I want to hold off just a bit (Hopefully not more than a couple of weeks) until
I get to see everyone and have confidence that this is going to be a popular
endeavor.

2.  Instead of waiting I could sign up for a more • generic URL and give NELUG
a page under that site.  For example • www.graybrick.com is still available
and I could give NELUG a page under that like • www.graybrick.com/NELUG/ and
then I would have my site under it as well as • www.graybrick.com/kingsley/.
The benifit to this is that I would be willing to • do it right away if that
is what people want.

Sounds watered down to me.  I'm really impressed
with what the baylug.org folks
have done!  (BTW, they might have some tips on
hosting!)

I would have to agree and after looking over baylug.org I think that this is
something we could use as a template (If they approve of course).

I like the fact that they have links to members pages and I noticed most of the
member pages were in subdirectories of baylug.org.  I think that this is
something we might be able to use to defray and share the cost of the monthly
charges.  Plus I know for me if I moved my current site over from GeoCities I
would save $5 on my GeoPlus account that I could put towards NELUG.  (Of course
personal pages would have to be Lego related and Lego exclusively).

<snip>

Count me in for helping out on any payment issues to
get it off the ground
if needed.

Todd, thanks for the offer and if you would like to help out thats great but I
know you have just a little bit of work to do on LUGNET (I am being facetious)
plus I assume you pick up the majority of the costs for it.

Anyway if there is anyone out there with some Web Authoring skills that would
like to help please let me know because although I am a software developer by
trade I have fairly limited experiance authoring Web sites.

Eric,

Remove ".jawaspam" when replying by E-mail.

NELUG
www.geocities.com/~kingsleyem/NELUG.html