 Local / United States / Massachusetts / Worcester / * (-5)
Re: Train Show in Springfield, MA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.loc.us.ma.wor
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:04:40 GMT

Hi Everyone,

I have updated information to share.

I now have the basic coverage of the show and setup times that I needed.  I want
to thank everyone who has volunteered and to tell those who haven't that there
is always room for one more.

I hope all of you will try to come down and see the show.  It is being held at
the Big E in Springfield on Oct 11-12. Visit their site for more information:
http://www.greatamericantrainshow.com/maps/WSP10-03/WSPTInfo/WSPInternet%20Copy.htm

The layout is also coming along.  I just finished a 64x64 convention center to
fill in one of the large holes and I'll be starting on the other 64x64 section
this week.  Chris will be bringing his trains to the show so in addition to
mine, we will have two trains running and some extra cars to fill in the sidings
on the layout.  It should be interesting to see an eight wide and a six wide
train running on the same layout.

If anything else comes up, I will update this thread.

Jonathan D.

Subject:
Volunteers needed for Train Show in Springfield, MA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.loc.us.ma.wor
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 03:44:36 GMT

Hey Everyone,

I'm doing a train show for GATs at the Big E in Springfield and I could use some
volunteers to help man the layout.  I would like to have at least one other
person with me during the show hours just to help keep the fingers off the
layout and pickup any trains that fall off after running over said fingers.  :-)

The show times are:
Oct 11: 11am-5pm
Oct 12: 11am-5pm

I could also use an extra set of hands during setup, but I'm mainly worried
about the show hours:
Oct 10th 3pm-9pm
Oct 11th 7am-11am

As an added incentive (bribe) I have 9 extra passes to the show.

And if anyone wants to lend a hand with the design, it could use a little help.
The layout is missing some buildings, one custom train, and probably something I
haven't thought of.  Feel free to make suggestions.

Just as a note, if you have something you would like to display, but can't make
it to the show, we can try and arrange a way for me to get it before the show.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/guigui/Layout/Springfield1003/springfield.gif

Jonathan Dallas

Re: Way off topic for lugnet, but what the heck...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.wor
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:29:02 GMT

I think this is on-topic for the .loc groups...

In lugnet.loc.us.ma, Christopher Masi writes:
Hey, I have a good joke for you...

Yah but its funny "sick to your stomach" not funny "hah hah"

Anyone here know of any affordable housing within 30 minutes of the
northeast side of Worcester? OK, its not a joke. Really, any ideas?

First a question for you...  Is this for you or someone you know.  If its for
you we have an extremely active LEGO community here so you can take solice in
that.  If its not for you, well it is still a cool place to live (especially in
the winter ;-)

First of all I would look West of Worcester (Woos-ter).  I am not terribly
familiar with the communities out there but I can try an look some up tomorrow.
Anywhere between Worcester and Boston is pretty pricy, west is bound to be
cheaper.

I would suggest starting at http://www.boston.com .  Again I can try and get
more info for you later but this is a start.

It looks like Worcester has got New Orleans beat for housing prices. Who
would have guessed?

Umm.. Me?

Eric Kingsley

Subject:
Way off topic for lugnet, but what the heck...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.wor
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:33:17 GMT

Hey, I have a good joke for you...

  Anyone here know of any affordable housing within 30 minutes of the northeast
side of Worcester? OK, its not a joke. Really, any ideas?
  It looks like Worcester has got New Orleans beat for housing prices. Who would
have guessed?

Thanks,
Chris
--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/

Subject:
LEGO Builders needed at MIT for MindFest event
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ma.wor, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.vt
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 14:43:33 GMT

Hi folks, I'm forwarding a request on behalf of a fellow student of
mine in the Epistemology & Learning Group at MIT. His name is Rick
Borovoy. He's a friendly guy and open to any feedback or questions.
If you'd like to check out some of the nifty stuff he has done, see
Rick's website:

    http://borovoy.www.media.mit.edu/people/borovoy/

and see the MindFest website for info related to that:

    http://www.media.mit.edu/mindfest/

-Suz.
message follows:

We need your help constructing some beautiful LEGO models for the Mindfest
event hosted by the MIT Media Laboratory.  Unfortunately, we are under
terrific time pressure, since the event starts on October 22nd.
Here is a
description of what we're doing. If you would be interested in
helping us
out, please get in touch with Rick Borovoy at borovoy@media.mit.edu.
We
would be very grateful.

We will be giving every participant at Mindfest a small key chain-size
computer that allows them to create, trade, and play with digital objects
called iballs, or "information balls".  One type if iball, the
collect-iball, will allow participants to author their own key chain-size
(48 x 32 b/w pixels) animation, associate some contact information
with it,
and then exchange it with other participants as a kind of animated business
card.   We will give prizes to the person who collect-iball collection
covers the largest number of U.S. states, or contains the largest
number of
balls.

Another type of iball will send each guest on a personalized quest, where
their key chain display will give them a clue (e.g. "Find someone over
6'2"), and they will have to find someone who meets that
description.  Upon
connecting their device to the person they were searching for, they will
get another clue from their key chain, and the cycle begins again.   We
want to end their quest on a very exciting note.  Here's what we
have in mind:

As a reward for completing your personal quest, you will get a
chance to
participate the Arthurian legend of Excalibur.  Prominently placed in
center of the event will be a spectacular sword made from LEGO that is
wedged inside a large LEGO rock.  One by one, people who have completed
their quest will be able to insert their key chain computer into the rock,
and attempt to pull out the sword.  For one lucky participant,  her device
will unlock the sword from the stone, and she will be able to remove
it and
take it home with her.

We can handle the computational and mechanical requirements for unlocking
the sword.  We're looking for a person/team who can build a
beautiful LEGO
Excalibur that everyone at Mindfest will covet.  We want this to be
a real
centerpiece for the event.   We would also be interested in other
ideas for
LEGO constructions that could be activated by the key chain
computers as a
kind of reward.

- Rick Borovoy
borovoy@media.mit.edu