 Local / United States / Massachusetts / 272
Re: Where are all the Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:22:59 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma, Jonathan Lill writes:
I live within walking distance of that TRU and it always stinks. Last
weekend was the first time I saw all the new star sets there at the same
time except for the technic threepio. I think it might say moire about that
individual's store management than anything else, but being February, stores
are still low on stock from after Christmas. I am waiting to see what
happens around April and May when all of Alpha tem should be on the shelf as
well as the new Dino sets and perhaps Bionicle. They might be withholding
large reorders so that shelves will have space for the new lines.

A TRU employee told me once that every time they restocked the original
Throwbots, the three with the 40 tooth gears sold out withing 24 hours.
Obviously signs of an AFOL.  For every one person you see here or on
Brickshelf, there are at least 10 more who do not participate in the
online forums.  Non-Lugnet/Brickshelf AFOLS regularly come in to the LEGO
store at Potomac Mills and are surprised when someone tells them about
the online forums.  Even when I visit that store which is about once
a month, I always see obvious AFOLS with a stack of boxes heading for the
register.  Interestingly, of the ones I've seen personally, about 80% are
men with girlfreinds/wives helping them.  I also see a surprising number
of people in offices with LEGO on display.  I don't even have any LEGO on
display at work.  When I ask these people if they have ever heard of Lugnet
or Brickshelf they usually say no!

The point is that wherever you are, there are probably many AFOLS
buying up all the good sets.

Another reason the shelves are sparse is that stores go through purchasing
cycles that vary significantly by time of year.  January through April
is a real thin time for toy sales so they have no incentive to purchase
more stock.  Target actually varies shelf space from as little as 1/4 isle
to a full isle+ over the course of a year.  TRU shelf space is constant
throughout the year (there is a reason for that) but that doesn't mean
it's fully stocked at all times.

KL